Safety at work: Covid effect in sharp decline on accidents and fatal cases – Hot

Safety at work: Covid effect in sharp decline on accidents and fatal cases

The 20th national report of the Inail Statistical Actuarial Consultancy on infections at work from Covid-19 notes a significant decline in the impact of the virus in the first nine months of this year. If in 2020, in fact, the average incidence of new Coronavirus complaints on the total of accidents at work reported to the Institute was one in four, between January and September it dropped to one in 12. In the same period, the ” incidence of deaths caused by the virus on the total of fatal cases, increased from about one in three reports in 2020 to one in five this year.

2021, with 33,610 professional-origin infections reported, currently accounts for 18.5% of the total accidents from Covid-19 received since the beginning of the pandemic. Compared to the first nine months of 2020, in particular, the cases of contagion detected between January and September of this year, although not consolidated, are down by 40%, the fatal ones by 43.4%.

The professional-origin Covid-19 infections reported to the Institute from the beginning of the pandemic to the date of last September 30 are 181,636. Compared to the 179,992 cases recorded by the monitoring of the previous month, the more complaints are 1,644 (+ 0.9%), of which 596 referring to September and 331 to August 2021. The other 717 cases refer to 57% of the other months this year and the remaining 43% by 2020. The consolidation of the data makes it possible to acquire information not available in the surveys and in the previous months.

Mostly men (82.9%) and workers aged 50-64 (71.8%) die, with an average age of the deceased of 58.5 years (57 for women, 59 for men). By extending the analysis to all infections of occupational origin, the average age of the infected falls to 46 years for both sexes, with 42.5% of reports in the 50-64 age group, 36.6% in the 35 age group. -49 years, 18.9% among the under 35 and 2% among the over 64, and the relationship between genders is reversed. The female share, in fact, is equal to 68.4% and exceeds that of males in all regions, with the sole exceptions of Calabria, Sicily and Campania, where the incidence of female workers on the total of infections in the workplace is, respectively, by 48.5%, 46.0% and 44.3%.

86.4% of the complaints concern Italian workers,percentage that rises to 90.7% for fatal cases. Among foreigners, the communities most affected are the Romanian (with 20.9% of foreign workers infected), Peruvian (12.6%), Albanian (8.1%), Moldovan (4.6%) and Ecuadorian (4.1%). As regards fatal cases, however, with 15.5% of deaths occurring to foreigners, the Peruvian community precedes the Albanian (12.7%) and Romanian (8.5%).